Thursday, March 10, 2011

Vegetarian doesn't always mean low Points!

Logically I knew this already, but I have a hard time not defaulting to "Oh, it's vegetarian - it must be super healthy."  If it's sautee'd in lots of oil, or smoothed out with heavy cream, it drives the points values up from a few to a LOT.  I have a twofold reason for the vegetarian effort, well OK - I have several, but 2 of the big ones are overall health, and the theory that it will help me stay within my points values if the bulk of my meals are made up of raw or lightly cooked veggies and fleshed out with whole grains.  In theory, this will work.  But if I have tofu and sautee'd veggies from the teriyaki place and the veggies are all greasy and wilted looking things probably aren't working out the way I want!!  Thankfully when I stir-fry at home I just use a couple spritzes from my Pam.

So of course early on I'm all about trying the different products out there and let me just say it is MUCH nicer to do this now than say, 10 years ago!!  This morning I had a toasted english muffin with EggBeaters, tomato and 3 slices of Tofurkey lunch meat.  It was delicious!  Thanks to suggestions from my friend Michelle, the Vegan Goddess, I am going to try a greenie smoothie tomorrow morning.  I'll certainly let you know how THAT goes down! 

Now my other trick is to try and make meals that the husband and the kids will eat.  The baby is easy - he loves fruits, tofu, pasta and since he's not quite a year yet he is still on the bottle.  While I loved last nights Bok Choy and Tofu stir fry over brown rice the older son only ate the rice and a few of the other veggies and the hubby didn't try any of it.  I work all day, getting home about 6, and evening bedtime routines start around 8.  I DON'T want to spend that entire 2 hours cooking, I like to spend some of it with my family and the time after the kids are in bed is spent cleaning & doing laundry.  So the challenge is to find yummy vegetarian/vegan meals that I can make FAST.  If I make any that the whole family jumps up and down for I'll post them for ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment